This section of the site contains shorter, concept-oriented notes that I refer to often in my other work. Some of the concepts are people. I might move the people out into their own section at some point.
Most of these exist in my SuperMemo collection as concepts.
¶ Andy Matushak
- Anki: SRS I used for around 4 years before switching to SuperMemo.
- Anti-Institution: The inverse of a traditional institution. Decentralized and non-hierarchical.
- Convex Tinkering: Knowledge seekers must search in a way that minimizes risk and maximizes payoffs!
- [Creative Induction]: Interesting concept from Colonel Boyd.
- [Deschooling Society]: Book published in 1971 by Ivan Illich.
- [Designed Serendipity] : Concept from michael nielsen
- [Destructive Deduction]: Interesting concept from Colonel Boyd.
- [Diary of a Madman]: Classic short story by [Lu Xun] (1918).
- Explore vs Exploit: Should you spend time gathering more knowledge, or use the knowledge you already have to gain value.
- Fowl: Italian man. Running the largest SRS experiment in history.
- George Hotz: Reverse Engineer. Now working on self-driving cards at Comma AI.
- Issa Rice: Has a great Wiki on using spaced repetition for mathematics.
- Learning Networks: Ivan Illich's deinstitutionalized alternative to the traditional education system.
- [Local vs Global Optimization]:
- [Lu Xun (魯迅)] : Chinese writer. Incisive in his societal commentary. Wrote [Diary of a Madman] in 1918.
- [Monopoly of School]: Schooled societies see school as the sole channel through which education may be delivered.
- Naess: Free learner, self-educator, professional connection maker, Finnish man.
- Paul Raymond-Robichaud: Quebecois quantum physicist who using SRS for mathematics and Stoicism for over 6 years.
- [Peer Matching]: Illich's proposal to [disintermediate] the university matchmaking system.
- [Semantic Distance]: How far away you are from understanding something.
- [Surrogation]: When a measure of a construct of interest evolves to replace the construct itself.
- Zander: Magnificent Californian and co-host on world's greatest SRS podcast.