- Antifragility is the antonym of fragility.
- Antifragility goes beyond resilience and strength; things that are antifragile actually benefit and grow when they are exposed to external stressors.
- There is an asymmetry between the gains and losses an antifragile objects will experience when exposed to variation, shocks and uncertainty. This asymmetry can be described as convexity because of the shape of the graph of the payoff function.
- If you ask people what they think the opposite of fragility is, many will answer strength, hardness, resilience etc.
- But antifragility goes beyond resistance to disorder and uncertainty - antifragile systems benefit from chaos.
- Fragile objects are concave to uncertainty, variation and shocks.
- Antifragile objects are convex to uncertainty, variation and shocks - they stand to gain more than they lose when exposed to external stressors.
¶ Comparison of Fragile and Antifragile Objects and Systems
- Global supply chain vs Ecosystem
¶ Heuristics to Recognise Fragility and Antifragility